Revised: March 2016
Governors: March 2016
This policy statement has been developed in accordance with the Education (Governors’ Allowances) Regulations 2003. These regulations give Governing Bodies the discretion to pay allowances from the school’s annual budget allocation to governors for certain allowances which they incur in carrying out their duties.
St Edmund Campion School Governing Body believes that paying governors’ allowances, in specific categories as set out below, is important in ensuring equality of opportunity to serve as governors for all members of the community and so is an appropriate use of school funds. The specific items allowable reflect this objective.
All governors of St Edmund Campion School are entitled to claim the actual costs, which they incur as follows:
- Governors will be able to claim allowances providing the allowances are incurred in carrying out their duties, as a Governor or representative of the School, and are agreed by the Chair of Governors and/or Headteacher that they are justified before any reimbursable costs are incurred.
- Governors will be able to claim for the following, on a case-by-case basis and with the prior approval of the Governing Body:
- Childcare or baby sitting allowances (excluding payments to a current/former spouse or partner);
- Cost of care arrangements for an elderly or dependent relative (excluding payments to a current/former spouse or partner);
- The extra costs they incur in performing their duties either because they have special needs or because English is not their first language;
- The cost of travel relating only to travel to meetings/training courses at a rate of 40 pence per mile which does not exceed the specified rates for school personnel.
- Travel and subsistence costs, payable at the current rates specified by the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, associated with attending national meetings or training events, unless these costs can be claimed from the LEA or any other source;
- Telephone charges, photocopying, stationery, postage etc;
- Any other justifiable allowances.
The Governing Body at St Edmund Campion School acknowledges that:
- Governors may not be paid attendance allowance;
- Governors may not be reimbursed for loss of earnings.
Governors wishing to make claims under these arrangements, once prior approval has been sought, should complete a claim’s form (obtainable from the School Office), attaching receipts where possible, and return it to the School within two weeks of the date when the allowances were incurred, when they will be submitted for approval by the Chair of Governors or Chair of Finance for final approval.
Governors wishing to claim for cost of travel will be required to have business insurance and this must be confirmed to the Chair of Governors or Chair of Finance in advance of the journey and at the time of seeking approval to claim.
Claims will be subject to independent audit and may be investigated by the Chair of Governors (or Vice Chair in respect of the Chair of Governors) if they appear excessive or inconsistent.
This policy will be reviewed by the Governors regularly.