Apply for Free School Meals… it’s quick and easy using the online form at:
From September 2014 primary schools have a legal duty to offer all pupils in reception, year 1 & year 2 a free school meal called a Universal Infant free school meal. This follows a recommendation in the School Food Plan to increase the number of children eating good food in schools.
This should not be confused with registering pupils for Free School Meals if you are from a lower income family and receive benefits. The principle of registering these pupils remains the same and attracts additional school funding called Pupil Premium of £1,300 per registered pupil. As this funding is specifically targeted at the registered pupils to raise their attainment, it is essential you register your child. In order to find out if your child qualifies please see the section below.
Do you qualify?
You can register your child for Free School Meals if you get any of these benefits:
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income (as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs) that does not exceed £16,190.
- Working Tax Credit ‘run-on’ – the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
PARENTS RECEIVING WORKING TAX CREDIT ARE NOT ELIGIBLE
How does it work?
1. Checking whether you qualify and registering is really quick and easy – do it online at: https://www.cloudforedu.org.uk/ofsm/rbwm/
2. If you want your child to have a free, healthy meal at lunchtime that’s great – they will get the free meal (saving you more than £400 a year) and the school gets extra money to help your child
3. If you don’t want your child to have a free school meal they can continue as normal – as long as you qualify, and are registered, the school still gets the £1,300 extra.
If having read this and you think your child qualifies you can either register on line using the link or contact us directly and we can advise you on the correct procedure for registering.
No one will know you have registered and it will not affect any other benefits you are claiming.