Lower Juniors – Miss Harvey
What we feel we have achieved this year:
- We have learnt about alternative ways to power our vehicles e.g treacle cars and sugar cane (Brazil)!
- Thinking about how we can develop our cars for the future: such as electric cars and solar powered.
- An understanding of how fossil fuels are formed and can be finite.
- An understanding of how we damage our environment: global warming, ice caps melting, the ozone layer and other species in the world. The impact of global warming on polar ice caps, the rising sea levels and low parts of our country.
- Investigated traffic around our school and problems with amount of cars through the day.
During the walk to school week we
- Tried to make sure that we increased the amount of us who walked to school. This contributed to St Edmund Campion being awarded a theatre performance as winners of a county competition during this week of awareness. We were winners of the week!
- Thought carefully about the green cross code and why we should use it. Road safety signs.
- Keeping people safe with posters to persuade drivers to drive. For example not to use a mobile phone whilst driving.
In addition we have:
- Always aspired to win the Eco-Award every week in school.
To extend our knowledge we:
- Discussed how we need alternative sources of energy and the issues around fossil fuels and renewable energies and how these are captured / used.
What we would like to learn next year:
Learn more about people that have do sustainable energy and how it works e.g. people who have solar panels on their roof.
Statistics about road safety.
Link science to LfS and create models cars that work. Create road signs on lollypops.
How people cope with living near busy roads and factories (pollutants).
Learn about auto drive and how that might be able to increase/decrease road safety
Year 4’s are looking forward to leading the travel and traffic doorway as an upper junior and these are some of the ideas they would like to investigate:
- Investigate how pollution affects certain people and us within school.
- Is there a way to adapt turning circle?
- Could we reduce the amount of cars on Altwood Road?